Monday, May 7, 2012

Article: Do students need Technology breaks?

I tweeted a question on tweekdeck regarding an article I have read in my Avid class. It was a very interesting topic that had students having to discuss and debate if students need technology breaks in the classroom? Pretty much the article was talking if giving students 2-3 minutes per class for students to chat, go online, text, etc, and hopefully students will not use their phones during learning time. The author did have interesting thoughts on the importance of giving the students the freedom in class for them to use their phones. He believed that if students know that they do have the free time without getting in trouble to use their phones, will prohibit students to use their phones during learning time. For myself, I believe that even though students are given technology breaks, this will not prohibit students to use their phone during class. For myself, I have taken away students phone multiple times during class. Students try to put it away before I take it away. I still take their phone away after giving them one warning. I even asked my students about this article while I was passing out papers and all students agreed they will still use their phones in the class even if they were given their technology breaks. I agreed as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment