Friday, March 23, 2012

Week 1 of Clinical Practice


Week 1 of Clinical Practice

This week has been very exciting due to the first week of clinical practice. There has been a lot of changes from what I have learned from last year. I prepared myself during observations to get to know the students before my clinical practice started. This made the transition process quicker and smoother when I took over my CT's classroom.
I love my class! The students are amazing and it is great to teach an Algebra II course. The students are more mature and older so the classroom management aspect of it is not too bad. However, I am also teaching 2 plato courses in mathematics. Plato courses are lab classes where students are on the computers and learning their individual mathematic content. There is not too much teaching involved besides assisting students if they need help. The biggest challenge for myself in the plato classes is the classroom management aspect. These are students who have failed multiple times in a course and most of the students have lost motivation to learn. Students have to complete 100% of their modules to pass the course. There are many students in the class that are still taking their first semester course still. But I do enjoy trying different classroom management approaches and see what works and what does not work. My goal for ALL the students is to have them at 100% by the end of the semester. It is a huge goal but I know if I focus on them, and be prepared to fail, then I know I can prevail at the end of the semester.

Week 1 has been a success with wonderful students, wonderful teachers, and a wonderful OSL to make my clinical practice a comfortable learning experience as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment