Monday, March 5, 2012

EDSS 531 Journal #4 - Reflection On Your Biases

What are your biases and how do you mitigate your behavior when working with students? 

I am very bias when it comes to students who try and who do not try. Being equitable to all students and leaving no child behind is probably the biggest challenge I face everyday. I tend to assist those who attempt to try in class rather than assist those who never tries in class. To me, it should be the total opposite.  
Another topic I am bias is to be more harsh on students of my own race; Asians. I guess it is because the way I was raised: typical Korean parents who cared solely on education and receiving a 4.0. Anything less would be a disappointment. When I see Asians, I tend to become stereotypical especially in a math course and expect that all Asians should be good in Math. I realized in Clinical Practice that this is not the case and I had a lot of learn. After couple weeks of struggling, I realized I need to be equitable to all students without looking at the color of their skins. If students need help, I should help and not assume. My expectations for my students should be the same for all my students and should treat all my students equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment